YI Home camera Troubleshooting and FAQ, The YI Home app is the intuitive and easy-to-use app for all your YI Home Cameras. Follow the simple onscreen instructions to add your YI Home camera then easily access 24/7 live view of your home, from anywhere. Control all your YI-connected devices in one place. YI Home app connects you with your family, pets, and things you love through real-time video and audio anytime, anywhere just a fingertip away.With a simple tap on your mobile phone, you can initiate a 2-way conversation with your family remotely. Its specially designed microphone and speaker ensure loud and clear voice quality.
How many YI Home Cameras can be connected to one account?
In our app, you have the flexibility to add an unlimited number of devices. However, for optimal performance and to avoid potential issues, we recommend adding up to a maximum of 50 cameras per account. It's important to note that having a large number of cameras may impact the app's performance.
Furthermore, we suggest not exceeding 12 cameras connected to a single WiFi network to ensure stable and efficient functioning. This recommended limit helps maintain a robust network connection and provides a seamless experience when using our app with multiple cameras. Keep in mind that individual network configurations and conditions may vary, so it's important to assess and adjust based on your specific setup and requirements.
Wi-Fi extenders can be helpful in connecting many cameras.
Setting Up Your Camera With YI Home app
Before You Start
1. Download the YI Home app from the Play Store (Android)
2. Download the YI Home app from the App Store (iPhone)
3. Create an account in the YI Home app. If unsure, refer to this link. https://help.yitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003646193-How-to-create-a-YI-Home-Account-
4. Check your phone to make sure that it's connected to a 2.4GHz band Wi-Fi network before pairing the camera (5GHz is only supported with Kami Indoor Camera).
5. Make sure the location for the phone and the app is turned on. In iOS, select the Settings app. Then click on Privacy. Select Location Services. Turn Location Services on. Select YI Home. Select While Using the App or Always. In Android, select the Settings app. Click on search and type location. Select App permission. Enable location. If you don't see the location, tap Security & location. Enable location.
Pairing the camera with the app
1. Connect the camera with the USB cable and adapter, and plug the adapter into a power outlet. The camera can also be powered by only the USB cable if it's plugged into a device that provides power through USB.
2. Open the app and log in to your account.
3. To add your camera, select the ‘+' icon.
4. Under Select Device(s), choose the camera that is going to be paired with the app. If you aren't sure, click on the QR code under Select Device(s). Scan the QR code on the bottom of the camera.
5. Under Set up the camera, Please wait 20 seconds until you hear, “Waiting to connect”. If you hear the voice prompt, click on I heard “Waiting to connect” at the bottom of the screen. If you don't hear waiting to connect click on the link called, I did not hear it. Use a paper clip to push the reset button for a few seconds. Then select Reset successful.
6. Under Connect to Wi-Fi, first, make sure the Wi-Fi name is correct. Only the Kami Indoor camera can connect to the 5GHz Wi-Fi band. All other YI cameras use the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band. Then enter the password for the Wi-Fi router. Select Connect to Wi-Fi.
7. Then face the QR code directly at the camera. If you hear “QR code scan is successful,” press next. If you did not hear anything, click on the link at the bottom of the screen.
8. The camera will go into retrieving pairing status that can take 1-2 minutes until the camera is successfully paired with the app.
9. Create a name for the camera. This can be a custom name or the location of the camera. Click Save.
10. If you have a YI Home 3, it includes a 6-month free cloud subscription. You will need to click “Activate YI Cloud Service”, or the free cloud is no longer available. Then click “Confirm Activation” to activate the free cloud service. If your camera does not include a free cloud service, you can still purchase a cloud service in the app.
YI Home camera Troubleshooting and FAQ
Read More : YI IoT Camera User Manual
How long can I record for with a micro SD card?
In local storage, YI Home Camera will record both standard-definition and high-definition video at the same time.
For the 1st generation YI Home Camera, a 32GB micro SD card can record about 4 days non-stop.
As for the 2nd generation YI Home Camera, the recording time shall vary from the high-definition mode you choose.
For 1080p@25fps,a 32GB micro SD card can record about 40 hours non-stop.
For 1080p@20fps,a 32GB micro SD card can record about 3 days non-stop.
Storing with micro SD card uses loop recording. When the card is full, it will automatically delete the first hour of the video.
How can I playback the footage on my SD card? (YI Home camera)
To Playback the footage from your SD card, log in to the YI Home or Kami Home app. On the Home screen, click inside your camera thumbnail to go into the “Live” view. Click inside the “Live” view on the top half of the screen. A timeline will appear. The orange stripes are the clips of the footage. Drag the orange stripe to a point inside the white vertical line. At the top, “Live” will change to “Playback” letting you know you are watching the footage from the SD card.
If you have inserted the SD card, but there is no timeline available for playback, please make sure the card is formatted. To verify, click on Settings in the bottom right corner or select the gear symbol in the upper right corner. Scroll down to the bottom and select MicroSD card under Storage. Click on Format Storage Card. Select ok to format the card.
Using the Live View (YI/Kami Home Cameras)
Once your camera has been paired to your account, you can connect to your camera in the YI Home or Kami Home app with your device (iOS/Android) from any location where you have a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. To see the live view, from the app home screen, click inside of your camera thumbnail.
Live View Controls
• To view full-screen, select the full-screen icon.
• To use the mic, select and hold the mic icon.
• Set the video quality to SD or HD by selecting the icon. Video quality is set to auto by default. This option will select the best option based on your internet speed and connectivity.
• To take a photo, select the camera icon.
• To manually record a video, select the record icon, then tap again when you're done.
• To turn the sound on or off , tap the speaker icon.
What is the cool down / cool off period for Alert Notifications?
To avoid receiving constant notifications, the Yi Home and Kami Home mobile app provide three options for the frequency of alert notifications. If enabled, you will receive a notification if (motion, person, or sound) is detected.
This setting will change the “cool off” period. Cool off is the time in which the camera will not send any notifications as it waits for the current activity to end and the new activity to begin.
How to use the settings for your camera?(YI Home camera)
If you would like to adjust the camera settings for how your camera triggers when detected by motion detection and or human detection, you can watch the tutorial video below. You can also copy and paste the link in the address bar of your browser to watch the video. https://youtu.be/K44hjHujJhE
Is the camera still able to record to a MicroSD card without a network connection?
Recording to the MicroSD card without a network connection is not supported at this time. We recommend connecting the cameras to a network all the time to have it continuously recording.
How can I access my YI Home Camera DID (Serial Number)?
To check the Camera DID (Serial Number), please follow the steps below:
1. Open your YI Home/Kami App.
2. Click on the gear icon to access the camera settings.
3. Click on Camera Name.
4. The DID number is shown at the top as ID:
How do I switch off the status light?
YI Home Camera status light is on by default, but can be manually switched off on the app.
1. Open the YI Home/Kami App.
2. Click on the gear icon to access the setting.
3. Tap on the Camera Settings.
4. Under Status Light, by default, Status Light is enabled, click the toggle button to turn OFF the Status Light.
How to create a security PIN?
You can set a 4-digit passcode for each of your cameras through the YI Home/Kami App. In order to view the camera, you will be required to input the correct PIN. You can set a pin following these steps:
1. Log in to the YI Home app.
2. On the Home screen, click camera thumbnail.
3. From the Camera Live Feed, click on Settings.
4. Under Security, click on the toggle switch to enable “PIN Protection”.
5. Set up a 4 digit PIN number then enter the PIN number again to confirm.
7. After configuring, you will enter the 4 digit PIN to view the camera Live Feed.
Note: If you forget the PIN number you will need to reset the camera with a reset pin or paper clip and pair the camera again to access the camera.
Also, every time somebody logs into your account, you will get a notification saying somebody is trying to login into your account.
Please watch the tutorial video below. You can also copy and paste the link in your browser to watch the video. https://youtu.be/PAKsRTR5J1g
Change Your Password within the YI Home/Kami App
If you need to change your password thru the YI/Kami Home App, please follow the steps below:
1. From the YI Home or Kami Home app home screen, tap on the Account tab.
2. Tap on My Account and tap on change password.
3. Enter your current password and the new password. Confirm the new password and tap the change password button.
Note: Make sure that the new password meets the requirement.
4. A password changed confirmation pop-up will appear. Tap on the login button to re-login using new credentials.
– Make sure your region in the top right is correct.
Change or Forgot Password
If you have forgotten your login password for your YI Account, please follow the steps below to reset your password:
1. Launch your YI Home App.
2. On the login page, tap on the “Forgot Password” option. (Located below the password field.)
3. Input your email address associated with your YI Account.
4. Enter the security code shown in the box on the lower right part of the screen. (Please take note that the said code is case sensitive and will expire approximately within 60 seconds)
5. Tap “Next” and the “Reset Password” page will prompt.
6. A security code will be sent to your email address.
7. Input the security code sent to your email address on the “Reset Password” page, along with the new password you want to set for your YI Account. Then tap “Reset Password”.
The email is sent out immediately, but you might experience a delay in receiving the code.
The password must be 8-16 characters long and must have the following characteristics:
At least one uppercase letter (e.g., AB).
At least one lowercase letter (e.g., ab).
At least one number (e.g., 1234).
Then, Click Return/Back to go back to the login screen. Make sure your region in the top right is correct. Log in with your account email address and a new password created.
My camera and SD card were stolen, how can I find my video evidence?
Our server saves 7 days of alert video, each alert video lasts 6 seconds easy for users to track online. In addition, users may also purchase our cloud service, in which video will be auto encrypted and uploaded to a cloud server as long as there's any motion identified in viewpoint.
What is the recommended microSD card for YI cameras?
Here is a list of the recommended microSD cards for all YI home security cameras.
1. YI Home 720p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
2. YI Home 1080p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
3. YI Home 1080p AI+ – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
4. YI Home 2 1080p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
5. YI Dome 720p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
6. YI Dome 1080p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
7. YI Outdoor 1080p – 8-64GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
8. YI Home 3 – 8-128GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
9. YI Dome X – 8-128GB Micro SD card, Class 10, FAT32 formatted.
Camera Keeps Going Offline
If you are seeing the error “Camera Offline”, this issue is related to a power connection issue or network connection issue between the camera and the Wi-Fi device (router or extender).
A “Network Connection Failed” error in the app is due to the phone connection (Wi-Fi or cellular) when using the app to view the camera.
To properly isolate this issue, please try the following:
Google issue is “Streaming unavailable” on Nest Hub?
If you are having an issue streaming your YI camera to your Nest Hub, first check to make sure the camera is online and can be viewed live in your mobile app. If it is working correctly, please refer to the troubleshooting steps below.
If this doesn't work try turning off the camera in the YI Home app and then turn it back on. Please follow the steps below.
How to reset your YI Home camera?
If you need to reset your YI Home camera but not sure how, please watch this tutorial video to find out. You can also copy and paste the link in the address bar of your browser to watch the video. Note: This video shows the location of the reset hole on a YI Dome X, however, the location will vary depending on the model of the camera. The process of using a reset pin or paper clip to reset the camera is the same for all YI/Kami home security cameras.
What do the different status lights indicate?
If you are having an issue with your camera and need help in troubleshooting the status light (LED) on your camera, please refer to the LED status below.
• Solid yellow – device rebooting / device being under firmware update
• Flashing yellow – device waiting to pair with WiFi
• Flashing blue – device losing connection to WiFi
• Solid blue – device being connected with WiFi
How to troubleshoot “camera is offline”?
1. Please confirm that the camera has power.
2. Power cycle your camera (unplug the power cable and plug it back in).
3. Ensure there are no obstructions that may block the signal between the router and the camera.
4. Move the camera next to your router. If you are using a wired camera and not a wire-free (battery) camera, unplug the power cable and plug it back in.
5. Restart your router by unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in.
6. Once the camera is back online confirm the connection is stable. If the camera is staying online next to your router, the issue is the Wi-Fi connection between the router and the installation location of the camera.
7. Move the camera closer to the WIFI router (The installation distance should not exceed 33 feet.
I can view the Live feed, but I couldn’t hear any audio
To enable the camera microphone, please follow the steps below:
1. Launch the YI/Kami Home App.
2. Tap on the Camera Thumbnail.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. Tap on Camera Settings.
5. By default the Camera Microphone is disabled. Toggle the Camera Microphone to enable.
Why are the videos blurry or not clear?
To enable the Hardware Decode, please follow the steps below:
1. Launch the YI/Kami Home App.
2. Tap on Account.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. By default, the Hardware Decode is disabled, toggle the button to enable Hardware Decode.